Green Edge NYC * Community for a Sustainable Future

Added Value Farm in red hook is great and there is the community garden on 6th ave and 15th st in park slope. What else is out there? I studied permaculture this past summer and would like to find a local group.

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Ceci, Thanks for all of the info.

(Sorry I just got your note now. I guess I wasn't staying on top of this forum!)

The name of the garden across from the St Mark's community garden is called the Prospect Heights Community Farm. They have a couple of orientations coming up, according to their bulletin board, if anyone's interested. Also, Garden of Union in Park Slope has a few orientations coming up, I think April 11 and 25.

Brooklyn Queens Land Trust (BQLT said:
Liz:
Generally on the fence, at most BQLT gardens, you will find contact information and the garden's open hours. Patti Hagan is the garden representative for the St. Marks/Prospect Height Community Garden located on St. Marks between Carlton and Vanderbilt Avenues.

Down the block from St. Marks/Prospect Heights is another garden...forgive me, but I cannot think of the name. It is on the opposite side of the street. The people are friendly, and you can inquire about the membership process.

Council for the Environment can give you statistical information about the gardens, i.e. address, block, lot numbers, number of fruit trees, and the like. Their mapping system and other information can be found online... http://www.cenyc.org/openspace and specifically for finding a garden
http://www.cenyc.org/openspace/mapping

I am a member of that garden and I joined by walking by and finding members inside. I inquired and was told to sign up...there happened to be a space available AND I returned with four bags of compost. They have a three-bin composting system in the rear of the garden.

Hope this helps.
Cecile Charles- King (Ceci)

Liz said:
I'd really like to get involved with a community garden. I know there's one in my neighborhood (Prospect Hts), but I haven't found any contact info online for them.

I'd also like to start a compost collection service, picking up compost or food scraps from people's homes and bringing them to community gardens.

Where did you study permaculture?
hey Liz!
just a thought but usually ea community garden has a sign post of some sort with a contact person. Also, Greenthumb.org might be able to help :)) hope you find someone!
I love your composting idea, and would love to talk with you about it, maybe even get some worm farms going in some of the gardens in pheights and slope....? :)

Liz said:
I'd really like to get involved with a community garden. I know there's one in my neighborhood (Prospect Hts), but I haven't found any contact info online for them.

I'd also like to start a compost collection service, picking up compost or food scraps from people's homes and bringing them to community gardens.

Where did you study permaculture?

RSS

GET UPDATES

Lists
Newsletter
Volunteer Opportunities
Events

Events

GREEN EDGE APPROVED

rolling_logolock_process-1

gdb_seal1 MINT Logo
SBNYC Official Logo